Friday, January 4, 2008

Soooo good...

....you'll wanna slap your grandma!!

I'll go ahead and say that if you are concerned with any of the following: calories, cholesterol, cellulite, plaque in your arteries, a bulging stomach....then don't read the following recipe. However IF you want to: fix your family a meal after which they will sing your praises for months, eat something reeeheally yummy or totally delight yourself in the ultimate comfort food then this is the recipe for you!

I'll go ahead and say this too, all of the credit for this tastebud fantasy goes to my crazy good pal Kristen! Check her out in my sidebar at The Lewis Family. I believe she told me this was a long time family recipe. Oh yeah baby, you know the ones!

Now this, my friends, is "Chicken Pockets"

A rotisserie chicken, with meat taken off into bite size pieces/shredded. (I like these chickens because dang they are good, and I am lazy. But anyway, procure some cooked chicken meat by whatever method your prefer!)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small carton sour cream
1 small can evaporated milk
shredded colby jack cheese
2 cans crescent rolls

In a small pan on the stove mix the soups, sour cream and milk. Heat and stir just until combined, set aside. Press 2 triangles of the crescent dough into a rectangle. Sprinkle some shredded cheese and chicken onto the rectangle. Fold together, pressing & sealing edges to make a "pocket." Continue with remaining crescents, you will end up with 8 pockets.
Pour half of the soup mixture into the bottom of a 9X13. Place pockets on top of the soup mixture and then top with the remaining mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top during the last 5 minutes of baking.

Hubs went nutty over this, could NOT stop talking about it! I was the hero that night! Blonde rascal said it tasted like cheesecake! (Don't know if he thought that literally or if that was just his highest form of compliment!) It really is just downright soothing. Comfort food at its best. You won't leave the table hungry. In fact in preparation you should just go ahead and put on your velour sweatpants beforehand. You'll thank me, your family will thank me, for sharing this recipe!

4 comments:

kristen lewis said...

My mom used to make it for me EVERY time I came home from college, hence my freshman 15 (give or take 20 pounds). Sooooo yummy! I feel all warm on the inside that I got props in your blog!

By the way, great job on the bling, hubs!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG we just finished eating but I'm thinking that sounds mighty yummy. I'm for sure gonna try that one. Cheesecake huh?? ROFLOL I'll keep that in mind when tasting. I'll eat with my eyes closed.

Mary said...

Thanks for the receipe. I was needing to get it, and I can just get it here now instead of from Kristen!

Anonymous said...

You had me at sour cream.

I must, must, must try this!