Sunday, March 2, 2008

A party fit for a Marine




Our big "last bash before boot camp" for the Marine was yesterday afternoon. In true redneck fashion we decked out the barn, hubs fired up the smoker and we burned some burgers and hot dogs. It was a gorgeous day, but of course it was windy.

It was lots of fun. There were probably 60-70 people that came, so I think the Marine felt loved! He is going to need that memory of the support of family & friends a week from tomorrow when he gets his first taste of a little drill instructor love!

Seeing lots of friends we had not seen in a long time was soooo wonderful. It is terrible how life takes over and you neglect seeing your friends as often as you would like. Playing hostess to that many people was a little draining you might say, but is was a great day with special memories.

I was like a wet dish rag last night. Just fell into my chair and then bed. Then I woke up at 3am and did not fall back asleep until sometime after 5. Ugh. I guess after my week of crazy planning and preparing my brain just had to decompress which interrupted my sleep! Then I woke up at 7 with my neck and lower back aching. (The mother of the Marine was invited... and came to the party which might explain the "pain" in my neck. What? Just keepin' it real here at Quilty Chick!) Clearly I am getting too old to party. So we are taking a mental health day and being complete vegetables today. Amen.

I can't believe he is leaving in a week. My eyes well up with tears if I think about it for too long. Lordamercy can you imagine the hell that awaits him when he steps off that bus at Camp Pendleton? The good news is that we will be going to San Diego in June for his graduation to see with our own eyes that he survived!

"Block of the Month" is on Weds. and I have not done my block. So there is some sewing in my immediate future. I am off to fire up the sewing machine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH...... how proud you two must be!

For a young man to make the decision to enlist in any branch of the military during this time....... makes my heart swell with pride myself!

And, could his name be any more cool? If we have a boy this time..... his name will be "Dutch"..... what a neat-o coincidence!

Anonymous said...

You did a FABULOUS job on the party and you are a FABULOUS mom. Your oldest rascal is a brave, good man.
Lori E.

kristen lewis said...

Thanks for the invite! Teasing. . .

I am glad that all went well and you survived "the mother."

Mary said...

Hey, was Lori E. at this bash? Not all of us were......ha, ha