Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On a positive note

Even with a very basic civilian understanding of military ways, I do know for a fact 2 things. #1 they do not tolerate slobs. #2 you do what you are told, when you are told and how you are told.

Heaven help my child.

In June of 2007 after the Marine graduated from H.S. he moved out and into a house with a couple buddies. At which point I promptly painted his room yellow and made it my sewing room!

Last Tuesday he moved out of that house, put his boxes of stuff in our attic, his furniture in the barn and moved into our guest room, since "his" room no longer existed, for 5 nights until he left for boot camp. F-I-V-E nights.

Look how he left my calm, serene, clutter free guest bedroom....

(Note: I keep this bedroom door shut at all times when not in use so that the cats will not get on the bed. Take a good close look at the bed. Those little imps.)


Oh look more dirty clothes...
...on the floor.



And finally...
...the unmade bed. Wonder how he is doing with the "bounce a quarter off his tightly and wrinkle free made bunk" guidelines he now has to live under? tee heee teee heee! (Look at those dang belligerent cats!)

Then, since his truck will be sitting un-driven next to our barn until he returns from boot camp in 3 months, we suggested he clean it out before he leaves. You know, so it won't smell upon his return.

Last Tuesday....
Hubs: "Son you need to clean out your truck before you go...because stuff is going to start growing in there."
The Marine: "Yeah, I know. I'm gonna."

Weds...
Me: Please clean out your truck so it won't smell like something died in it when you get back."
The Marine: "I will. Dad asked me to do that yesterday."

Friday...
Hubs: "Really, go clean out that truck! You can't leave it like that!"
The (irritated ) Marine: "I know you ALREADY told me that. I am GOING to clean it out!" Rolls eyes and walks away mumbling under his breath.

It was still parked in our driveway so I went to move it this afternoon.


I opened the passenger side door to his truck....




What fresh hell is this?


And if that is not bad enough, look at the backseat....
This all leaves me wondering just how deliberate procrastination, eye rolling and mumbling under his breath are going over with his drill instructor. Probably not so well! teee heee tee hee!

Therein lies the justice for the parents who tried, for years, to straighten out a slob teenager. God bless drill instructors.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Well, Brooke, so glad you are over the sadness! Glad you're back to you old self!

Anonymous said...

Funny! I'm sorry you are struggling with his going to boot camp, but isn't it kind of funny that he will be so very changed in his domestic habiets when he comes back???

Lisa Boyer said...

OMG!! Our sons are twins. My son is the exact. same. way. Messes everywhere. Smells that you never want to smell. Unfortunately, no boot camp for my boy--he's now got a college dorm room that probably looks/smells the same way. But I don't wanna know...