Thursday, November 8, 2007

Books, books, books

Assuming I did not have the responsibilities of a wife, mom, human... I would read myself into oblivion.

Book club is a week from today. This month we are reading "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman which incidentally is a movie coming out and stirring up a little controversy too. I started it yesterday and for the life of me just can't get into it. I really think it is because I have read 6 Harry Potters since August! It feels similar, a magical fantasy, and I think I just need to change gears for a while before I get back in to that scene. They will still let me come to book club to laugh and drink wine, I will not get excommunicated for not reading! That is why I love book club, it gets me to read stuff I would not normally choose and always end up enjoying. However, I will probably revisit this one in a few months.

I just finished "The Quilter's Homecoming" by Jennifer Chiaverini. I have enjoyed all of her books and this one was good too.

Today I started "High Five" by Janet Evanovich. This series goes up to like 16 or something now. Boy oh boy do I LOVE these books! 100% entertainment, fluff, no-brainer but completely hilarious. I laugh out loud. I love Stephanie Plum, and her grandma, AND her hamster Rex. To enjoy these you must go into them NOT expecting any life changing moments or deep thoughts AND you must enjoy heavy sarcasm and have a somewhat irreverent sense of humor. Good stuff here folks. They are a giggle-fest.

Next up on deck, in the stack of books to read, is "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. This book intertwines the true tale of two men in Chicago, the architect behind the 1893 World's Fair and a serial killer who uses the fair to lure his victims.
While in Chicago a few months I ago, I did do things more worthy of my time than just smoke cigars, such as take the architectural river tour of downtown. I highly recommend this if you find yourself in Chicago.
On this particular tour, our docent was this charming gem of a lady...

She had to have been every bit of 80. She was a pistol and sharp as a tack. She really made the tour. She was born and raised in Chicago and rattled off architectural details and history of so many buildings like she was reading it out of a book. Made me realize that I am certainly not using my brain to its full potential. THAT is a whole other story... anyway she was a hoot! Amongst the details and history she shared she would throw in her opinion of city officials and decisions made that she did or did not agree with, all having to do with historical Chicago and landmark buildings. It was clear that she stayed on top of everything having to do with the city she so obviously loved. She truly was a joy to listen to. All of that to say she recommended this book as she spoke briefly on how the World's Fair in 1893 changed Chicago and made it the city it is today. Of course since reading is my drug of choice and I had fallen head over heels in love with Chicago, I bought this book at the airport on our way home and am very much looking forward to reading it.

What are you reading?

I must sign off now. I have a load of wonderful clean smelling folded laundry sitting in piles on the couch...amongst which Missy the hell raiser is joyfully diving in and out of. Pardon me while I go wrestle a weenie dog away from my stacks, which are now all amok!

No comments: