Friday, December 7, 2007

Live like you were dying.

My mom called me yesterday to tell me that the daughter of some life long family friends had passed away suddenly. Gretchen had been sick for a week or so, pneumonia was the diagnosis. Her husband rushed her to the hospital yesterday afternoon and she died of a heart attack. She had battled with her weight most of her life and I am sure that had taxed her heart. She was in her mid 40’s with 3 kids, late elementary to preteen.

I am just sick for this family that I have loved my entire life. So tragic and devastating. It made me think of Tim McGraw’s song “Live like you were dying”. The lyrics talks about loving deeper, talking sweeter and giving forgiveness we had been denying, Rocky Mtn. climbing, sky diving...

How do I want to live my life today? I may be gone tomorrow. The people in my life are what really matters to me. Today I want my husband to know that I adore him, love him dearly and appreciate him....EVEN in all of his type A crazy ways! My son? Man where do you start with that? Because of him I know what fierce, raw, unconditional love is. Before childbirth I could not have fathomed that kind of love. I hope he knows everyday that he has brought me joy unlike anything else and I would fly to the moon and back for him. And of course the list goes on and on with special people in my life.

I am predisposed to not be a worrier, I try to approach each day with some gusto and I refuse to take life too seriously. I honestly believe there is a silver lining in every situation if you are willing to look for it. I whole heartily believe life is too short to not live it to its fullest. I am sure most people feel like this, but as each year goes by I feel more comfortable in my own skin. I don't really care what other people think, I will laugh loudly, sing & groove in my car when I want to, wear something that makes me giggle, try something new, take a risk now and then and most importantly find the joy in each day. Even for an optimist like myself, life and its craziness does interfere sometimes. On those days when I am cranky, overwhelmed and my fuse is short, I hope to be reminded by Gretchen's sudden & unexpected death to stop and remember what a gift my wonderful life is.

And oh heck, our bodies. God gave us these bodies. I hope to continue to find enjoyment (on most days) from physical exercise! I want my ticker and my muscles to be able to carry this body around as long as possible!

Bloggy friends, pray for comfort for the Horton-Thomas family, especially the children, please. And join me as I try to give each day, and those I love, my all! Go give a loved one, or your dog, or the mailman a big hug!

4 comments:

kristen lewis said...

So true. I sometimes stop and wonder if what I spend all of my "todays" on is what I want to remember in all of my "yesterdays." I don't know if that makes sense at all, but I am so thankful for every new day that the Lord gives me an opportunity to figure it out.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I'm so sorry about your friend and their family. You are so right in everything you said. Enjoy your life and be nice to those around you. Every day counts.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brooke you are so right and it's so easy to take for granted all our blessings. Prayers for your friends and their family. Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Once again I feel compelled to add that this particular entry is ripe for mention of brother-in-laws...