Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Budget Smudget

I painted the kitchen/dining room/living room ceiling at our "new" house on Sunday. The ceiling starts at 8ft. and slants up to probably 13 ft. or so. (I assigned myself the position of chief painter after the contractor told me what he estimated it would cost to have the inside of the house painted.)

Midway through the ceiling painting torture, in a weak moment, I informed hubs that I was through saving money.

(Remember hubs had rotator cuff surgery in Oct. so assisting in painting is out for him! In his defense, he did kindly offer to hire painters to save my fragile little self. Yet, I firmly & perhaps ignorantly remain cheap and determined when it comes to saving money.)

The trauma of schlepping the 12 ft. extension pole for the paint roller, wearing a shower cap and goggles (it's a popcorn ceiling...messy painting), hyper extending my neck and shoulders for 8 hours and the blisters on my hands...really, it was not fun.

However. It looks fabulous! It is amazing how a fresh coat of white ceiling paint brightens up the place.

It is all a distant memory as I have regained most of the movement back in my neck and I will bravely paint the walls of the house now. WALLS, not ceilings.

The good news is that The Marine was in town for the weekend and we had the strapping young man rip up the rest of the tile. He is used to physical torture by now.

On a different note, blonde rascal didn't have school Monday so we went to see "Hotel for Dogs"....totally cute. I even teared up at one point.

My mission this week is packing up excess clutter and "staging" the house for showing. Clutter....where does it come from and why do I have it?

8 comments:

trish said...

Oh boy, you must be sore! That is a lot of painting to do. Wish I would have jumped on all my painting before moving into our home. I am now painting around furniture. Oh well, at least it is coming along I suppose. :o)
That is super that "the Marine" is a great sport and working alongside you all. :O)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Angie said...

I'm all for hiring out the hard work. Who has time anyway when there's FB and Blogger in the world?! Uh, I mean, when there's sweet little children that need attention and guidance in the world.

Mary said...

I wish you could tell me why we have clutter. I could sure use the help with it....

kristen lewis said...

Well at least you no longer have living room furniture to work around! We are completely digging our "new" stuff!

Made In The South said...

Can't wait to see pictures....When I would start painting I always would have to get my husband to help finish.

Angie said...

I do not like to paint either, but I sure do love the end result. Good for you that you did it yourself! I always do too!

Martha said...

OOooo!

I can't wait to see the photos from your painting, Brooke!

xoxo,
martha

Unknown said...

I totally agree. I have tall ceilings in my entry like that and I am so glad my hubby will paint them or they would so be hired out! I much prefer painting dressers and chairs.